About Liana

My photo
Brisbane, Australia
My studio is located in Brisbane, Australia. For the past 10 years I’ve been enjoying creating jewellery designs from an array of mundane materials. Tupperware and knitting needles have remained a firm favourite. My designs have been published numerous times, graced the shelves of many wonderful galleries and stores and been worn by those whose aren’t afraid of colour and attention. All of which I am very grateful for. For several years I’ve also been fortunate enough to work with many businesses as a coach and workshop facilitator.

Search This Blog

Friday, September 28, 2012

Feathery Pieces



My fondness for cutting feathery leaf shapes started with a series of  Tupperware necklaces in 2004.  In the years to follow I would have hand cut that same shape (although each one is unique, really) thousands of times. So it's no wonder I needed a little break from them!

Now in 2012 I find myself again drawn to that shape. This time the material is sheets of recycled folder inserts. Judging by the text hand written on the tabs, I'd say these were from a hospital or doctor's surgery. This plastic is thinner and more flexible than the Tupperware and has a lovely softness and smoothness to it, that is also different. What I perhaps like best besides the feel of it, is the dreamy swishing sound the pieces make when worn.

It may not be long before I get tired of cutting thousands of feathery shapes again, but for now I find it relaxing and engrossing. I'm sure there is a cutter or a punch that could cut out a similar shape and speed up the task, but then all the shapes would be the same, and each one being slightly different is really the point.

A limited edition of these pieces will be available in select galleries and online, shortly.

No comments: